- big shot
- nounan important influential person (Freq. 1)-
he thinks he's a big shot-
she's a big deal in local politics-
the Qaeda commander is a very big fish• Syn:• Usage Domain: ↑colloquialism
* * *noun: a person of consequence or prominence
a big shot in gambling circles
what's your problem, big shot
* * *Informal.an important or influential person.[1905-10]
* * *big shot see ↑bigwig below.• • •Main Entry: ↑big————————bigˈwig or big shot noun (informal)A powerful person, a person of some importance• • •Main Entry: ↑big————————big shot (informal)A person of importance• • •Main Entry: ↑shot
* * *an important person in an organizationThesaurus: important and powerful person or peoplesynonym
* * *big shot,Slang. an important person.–big´-shot´, adjective.
* * *
* * *noun, pl ⋯ shots [count]informal : a powerful or important person
All the corporate big shots are meeting this afternoon.
a big shot in local politics
Useful english dictionary. 2012.